Monday 16 March 2009

Dan Viesnick withdraws appeal

17/3/2009
Hi,

Having taken expert legal advice and considered the views of others, I have reluctantly decided to withdraw my Aldermaston appeal, due to be heard at the High Court in London this Friday. This is due to fears expressed only very recently by others that parts of the case could set damaging legal precedent in the hands of unsympathetic judges.

I'm very sorry if you are inconvenienced or disappointed by this decision, but I'm afraid I really had no choice in the end.

Peace,
Dan
From: dviesnik

Subject: Dan in High Court Aldermaston appeal, London - new date - Friday 20 March
To: dviesnik@yahoo.co.uk
Date: Thursday, 5 March, 2009, 10:01 PM


Hi folks,

Just to let you all know that my High Court appeal against my conviction in March 2008 for plonking myself down outside Aldermaston Atomic Weapons Establishment for a rest in July 2007, during the Footprints for Peace walk from Dublin to London is going to take place on Friday 20 March (rather than Wed 18 March, as previously stated). The previous date was given to me (in writing) by my solicitor (from Bindmans), but is incorrect, I today have learned. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

I have still not been informed what time the hearing will commence, either by my solicitor or by the court, but my legal team seems to think it would probably start around 10.30am, in which case it would be great to have lots of supporters with banners, musical instruments, etc outside from around 9.30 / 9.45am. I shall invite the press along. The hearing could last half a day or all day - who knows? The law is a law unto itself. I will let you all know when I receive any further information.

If you turn up to court late, look for Viesnik vs Director of Public Prosecutions in the listings.

The address of the court is:

Royal Courts of Justice, The Strand, London. WC2A 2LL (nearest tube: Temple)
Map: http://tinyurl.com/alkzq3

Peace,
Dan


Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009
From: dviesnik@yahoo.co.uk
Subject: Dan in High Court Aldermaston appeal - Wed 18 March

This is a substantive hearing relating to my sit-down with fellow walkers outside Atomic Weapons Establishment Aldermaston in July 2007 during the Footprints for Peace walk from Dublin to London. I was found guilty last March, at Newbury Mags, of obstructing a highway (access road at Tadley Gate). Support outside and inside court would be great! Hopefully some media will come along, too.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment